Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Ode to the Canadian Tuxedo



The Canadian Tuxedo. I don't know if there has been a look so disparaged, yet so celebrated when it comes to denim. What is it about denim on denim that makes it so dangerous? Could it be that there is no middle ground when rocking double denim? Either the look works, or it doesn't. Some people such as the mighty Lzzy Hale can pull off the look flawlessly, making it seem cooler than the other side of the pillow. Others make it look as if a denim clad lumberjack from a B horror movie has come back from the 80s to haunt our dreams.

My first experience with the Canadian Tuxedo came as a young lad when I saw Shania Twain's Any Man of Mine music video. To many, the video may be cringeworthy as it epitomizes the pitfalls of 90s denim fashion, but to me it was the quintessential country music video. It was Shania being Shania, unapologetically Country in a decade when it was okay to be Country. Boots and jeans were still king (or queen), and the curse of Scotch tape logo colored leggings was merely a twinkle in Satan's eye. Ah, the good ol' days. 

Since then I've seen the Canadian Tuxedo rear it's beautifully ugly head from time to time. No, it doesn't always work, but that's OK. Anyone willing to wave the flag of denim by doubling up on the blessed fabric deserves a tip of the hat. May we all cast off the judgmental chains of society and embrace our inner Lzzy (or lumberjack). 

Long live the Canadian Tuxedo!


2 comments:

  1. I think if you're doing it like Justin Timberlake and Britney Spears did (shudders at the thought) then it's a complete and utter no go! But if you do it like Kim Kardashian, or Rihanna etc, it's amazing! Getting both denim shades a different colour is the key to making it work, then you can even go for triple of quadruple denim like I do!

    Raindrops of Sapphire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I completely agree, I've seen those pictures with Britney and Justin & they are quite scary! :) I haven't seen Rihanna yet, but Kim Kardashian has pulled it off quite well. Beyonce pulled it off really well too recently. Double denim is definitely a tricky look to pull off. In my opinion it either looks great, or terrible, there's no in-between. That's so awesome you've gone with triple and quadruple denim! I'll have to be on the lookout for that.

      Delete